How to Stay Fit on Vacation When You Don’t Really Want To Work Out…
Post by Kary
One of the best parts of taking a vacation is stepping out of your everyday routine. For most of us, working out while on vacation is probably the last thing on your mind. Even though you know you should, you really don’t want to. For me, I work out extra hard and extra long the entire week leading up to going out of town. This helps give me the boost I need to not have to maintain my early morning regimen while I’m away. However, I still want to fit into my bathing suit, so I try to stay as active as possible while having a great time! Check out some of these suggestions to stay active with having to “work out”:
- Walk, walk, walk – Walk everywhere you can. It’s great exercise and the best way to see what’s really going on in a new place.
- Take the stairs. Avoid elevators and escalators whenever possible. This extra effort allows for extra splurges (like wine or chocolate!).
- Schedule activities that are popular in your destination such as hiking, skiing or kayaking. Get out there and keep moving.
- Swim. If you are near a beach or pool go swimming. It is fun and a great way to stay fit.
- Investigate the gym in your hotel. It may have new and interesting machines that are fun to try.
- Pack a resistance band. If nothing else, you can stretch and get the blood flowing when you start your day.
- Look for fitness classes in the popular areas of the places you are visiting. Many places offer free or almost free classes such as yoga at Millenium Park in Chicago, pilates on Siesta Key, Tai Chi in Phnom Penh.
Relax and enjoy your time off, but be inventive and stay active. Also if you don’t work out but want to start, these are great ways to ease yourself into it!
How do you stay fit on vacation? Let us know in the comments!