I love a good motivational quote, especially travel-related ones. Here are some of my favorite inspirational travel quotes to give you some added encouragement while planning your next trip!
1. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
2. “When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money.” – Susan Heller Anderson
3. “A ship in harbor is safe, but that’s not what ships were built for.” – John A. Shedd
4. “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” – Benjamin Disraeli
5. “Once a year, go somewhere you’ve never been before.” – Dalai Lama
6. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
7. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
8. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
9. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” – Maya Angelou
10. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
11. “Once the travel bug bites, there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
12. “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” – Clifton Fadiman
13. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
14. “Travel expands the mind and fills the gap.” – Sheda Savage
15. “Take the time to put the camera away and gaze in wonder at what’s there in front of you.” – Erick Widman
16. “May your adventures bring you closer together, even as they take you far away from home.” – Trenton Lee Stewart
17. “I travel around the world in a way that tries to open my mind and give me empathy and inspire me to come home and make this world a better place.” – Rick Steves
18. “I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” –Mary Anne Radmacher
19. “In the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
20. “The best education you will ever get is traveling. Nothing teaches you more than exploring the world and accumulating experiences.” – Mark Paterson
21. “Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they have been told to.” – Alan Keightley
22. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
23. “Nothing lasts forever, except the day before you start your vacation.” – Gayland Anderson
24. “I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth. Then I ask myself the same question.” – Harun Yahya.
25. “If I’m an advocate for anything, it’s to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. The extent to which you can walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food, it’s a plus for everybody. Open your mind, get up off the couch, move.” – Anthony Bourdain
I think it’s important to note that traveling doesn’t just mean flying halfway across the globe. You can travel in your own city, state, country. One thing I am trying to do is go to new places in the city I live in every weekend. Even in this small city there is so much to do!
Which quote is your favorite?