Honolulu is the capital city of Hawaii and located on the island of Oahu. The most popular spot in Honolulu is Waikiki, but there is also plenty of arts and culture, amazing food, great hiking, and so much more. It is a great place to spend your vacation in Hawaii, or to start as a jumping off point for a trip around the islands.
Here are 10 things to do in Honolulu:
- Waikiki Beach: Perhaps the most popular spot in Honolulu where you can enjoy many water activities or just relax on the beach. Enjoy the numerous shops and restaurants along the street adjacent to the beach.
- Pearl Harbor: The final resting place of the 1,177 sailors killed during the Pearl Harbor attack is a somber and eerie place. It gets very crowded here, but we think it’s important to see and learn about what happened.
- Diamond Head: This 300,000 year old volcano is a recognizable site in Oahu, with scenic hiking and spectacular views of the island.
- Surfing: Give the “sport of kings” a try with a surfing lesson. The famous North Shore is about a 90 minute drive from Waikiki.
- Sunset dinner cruise: Enjoy a scenic boat ride with stunning views of the island and sunset.
- Snorkeling/SCUBA: Hawaii has 1,200 miles of coral reef, making for some excellent snorkeling and SCUBA diving.
- Iolani Palace: This former residence of Hawaiian monarchs is the only official state residence of royalty in the United States.
- Kapahulu: Get outside of Waikiki and visit this small neighborhood with interesting boutique shops and great local food.
- Honolulu Museum of Art: This fine art museum has over 38,000 pieces of art, as well as Shangri La, which houses an Islamic art collection.
- Golf: If you’re a golfer, you’re definitely going to want to try out some of the beautiful golf courses. Hawaii’s first golf course is located on Oahu, and there are some luxurious golf resorts to try as well.
Have you been to Honolulu? What are your favorite things to do there?
Like this post? Save it on Pinterest!