Florence is the capital city of the Tuscany region in Italy. It is considered the birthplace of the Renaissance movement, making it a culturally significant city with plenty of art and culture to explore. The food is also pretty great!
Here are 10 things to do in Florence:
- Piazza della Signoria: This is the main square in Florence and has been the center of political life since the 14th century. There are many interesting statues depicting the historical events that have taken place here.
- Piazzale Michelangelo: This piazza offers stunning panoramic views of Florence. You can walk up to the piazza or take the bus or a car.
- Boboli Gardens: Located in the Uffizi galleries behind the Pitti Palace is Boboli Gardens. The elegant gardens used to belong to the Medici family. There is an amphitheater, statues, beautiful walkways, fountains, and much more to see.
- The Duomo: This Gothic cathedral is a well-known site in Florence. It is free to enter and is definitely worth a visit.
- Rent a bicycle: Florence has great winding bicycle paths that take you through its beautiful neighborhoods.
- Eat gelato: Florence claims to be the birthplace of gelato. Either way, how can you go to Italy and not enjoy some gelato?
- Mercato San Lorenzo: This covered food market has lots of amazing delicacies that you can sample and buy.
- “Holy Gates” cemetery: Featuring elaborate tombs, mausoleums, and sculptures, this is where the elite of Florence are buried.
- Uffizi Gallery: This is one of the most top art museums in the world, as well as one of the oldest. You can see famous works of art, including works by Leonardo da Vinci and Botticelli. If you’re not an art lover, the galleries and grounds and very beautiful to walk around. Considering purchasing your ticket ahead of time to avoid the long lines.
- Ponte Vecchio: A popular tour spot is the Ponte Vecchio, or Old Bridge, that spans the Arno River. It has survived floods and World War II attacks. It is a great place to walk around and explore the shops.
These are just some of the great things you can do in beautiful Florence!
Have you been to Florence before? What was your favorite part?
Like this post? Save it on Pinterest!