Accra is the capital city of Ghana located on the Gulf of Guinea in West Africa. This is certainly not the most glamorous city you will ever visit, but there are lots of interesting things to do in Accra during your time here. You may not see a lot of tourists here, but there are plenty of business travelers and expats who are enjoying their time. Accra is considered one of the safer cities to visit in western Africa, and the locals are friendly and helpful.
You might be wondering what to do in Accra or if there are any fun places in Accra to check out. Between the shopping, food, nightlife, historical sites, and friendly people, we think you will have a great time in Ghana’s capital city. Here are 10 places to visit in Accra during your stay.
10 Things to do in Accra
1. Flagstaff House: Completed in 2009, the Flagstaff House is known as the Presidential Palace. The architecture is based on the Asante Golden Stool.
2. Jamestown Lighthouse: Jamestown is one of Accra’s oldest districts. The lighthouse was built in the 1930s and offers a nice view of the harbor and city (depending on the level of pollution that day.) Be prepared the navigate up a tiny ladder.
3. Labadi Beach: Labadi Beach is one of the most popular beaches on the coast and is often crowded on the weekends. It is located east of Accra. If you are not staying at one of the hotels on the beach, you will have to pay a small entrance fee of 5 Cedi.
4. Accra Mall: The Accra Mall was the first large scale shopping center in Ghana. It has 65 shops and 9 restaurants. According to their website, 30% of the stores/eateries are operated by Ghanaians. This is a nice upscale retail space with a food court and cinema. It is a great place to walk around and enjoy the air conditioning.
5. Independence Square/Black Star Square: Independence Square contains monuments to Ghana’s struggle for independence. It is the second largest city square in the world.
6. Champs Sports Bar & Grill: Champs is like an American sports bar, but with “Ghanaian excitement.” This is a really fun place to watch sporting events, listen to music, enjoy good food and drinks, and participate in different events throughout the week like trivia.
7. Holy Trinity Cathedral: Holy Trinity Cathedral is an Anglican Church that was completed in 1894.
8. Centre for National Culture: Known as The Arts Centre, this is where you can get some great arts and crafts made by locals. Be prepared to haggle.
9. Jokers Night Club: Jokers Club is a restaurant/nightclub that makes for quite an interesting and entertaining night out. Enjoy the food, drinks, music, pool tables. Mingle with locals and expats. Just be warned that this place is where prostitutes like to hang out (unless that’s what you’re looking for!)
10. University of Ghana: This is the oldest and largest university in Ghana. It was founded in 1948. The main campus is in Legon, northeast of the city center. It is a beautiful campus to walk around. You can also stay here in one of the three hostels at the university.
Have you been to Accra? What were some of your favorite things to do? Let us know in the comments!