One of the biggest obstacles to traveling is money. When planning a trip, the costs can start to add up and it can be discouraging. We are no strangers to this and have done a lot of things to save up some extra cash for our trips. We also are on the lookout for things we can do for free so we don’t have to spend a lot or any money either at home or while on our trip. Every little bit helps! It helps to have a game plan when starting to save for travel. Here are 50 tips that we compiled that can help you get started saving up for your next trip.
50+ Ways to Save for Travel
- Visit the museum on a free day.
- Go to the movies on the discount day.
- Go to happy hour for drinks and light appetizers.
- Find a local running club for free workouts. (Fit2Run and Fleet Feet do free fun runs!)
- Use the library for downloading e-books, music, magazines, and more.
- Only buy clothes and accessories you will use. Don’t buy something just because it’s on sale!
- Do your Christmas shopping early at clearance sales throughout the year. Don’t wait until the week before to do all your holiday shopping.
- Go to your local theater to see a show.
- Check out a wine tasting at local winery.
- Schedule your flights for off hours (overnight, early morning, late night).
- Walk or ride your bicycle whenever possible.
- Buy in bulk. (Hello Costco!)
- Switch to a plant based diet. (It really is cheaper).
- Google for a promo code before making any online purchases.
- Try online banking to reduce fees. (We use Capital One 360. No minimums. No monthly fees.) *affiliate link
- Shop at resale and consignment shops.
- Volunteer in your community.
- Sell unused items in your home. You can use eBay, craigslist, or apps like Let Go.
- Search for free events in your community. This is a great way to discover new places in your own backyard.
- Go green! Limit printing and use mail sparingly. Printer ink can be very expensive and so much can be done online now.
- Plan or go to events on weekdays, if possible. There are usually specials during the week.
- Give something up for a period of time (like Starbucks, for example) and apply that money towards your trip savings.
- No impulse shopping! Try going for a walk instead.
- Getting a holiday or seasonal job can be a great way to make some extra money.
- Skip the cleaning service and spend the day cleaning your home, car, pool, etc.
- Quit smoking.
- Make your own coffee or tea.
- Turn down the air conditioning/heat a few degrees.
- Check out your local farmer’s market. This is a great place to buy fruits and veggies.
- Bring your lunch to work.
- Research the lowest gas stations in your area.
- Sign up for any free rewards programs/cards.
- Try doing basic home/auto repairs. (Stress on the word basic!) There are so many tutorials on YouTube for basic repairs.
- Always make a shopping list and stick to it.
- If you have kids, exchange babysitting services with friends to save some babysitting money.
- Grow your own herbs and vegetables.
- Carpool to work or school.
- Use energy efficient light bulbs and power strips. They really do save you money in the long run.
- Check store apps before shopping. You might find an additional discount for using the app.
- Check your bank accounts and bills regularly for discrepancies. It’s shocking how many people don’t do this.
- Start a change jar. Put coins and $1 and $5 bills in it. You’d be surprised at how quickly it adds up.
- Try going cash-only to set limits on spending.
- Learn basic sewing skills.
- Check insulation in your home to make sure you’re not spending too much on heating/air conditioning.
- Drink more water! Start replacing pop/coffee/juice drinks with water. Try infusing it with lemons, cucumbers, or other fruits.
- Never use an ATM that charges a fee unless you know your bank will reimburse you.
- Go to a beauty school to get more affordable hair cuts.
- Use coupons. You don’t have to turn into a crazy coupon lady, but it is worth browsing for coupons before you go grocery shopping.
- Try out some generic brands instead of name brands. They usually are the same or a similar product.
- Cancel your cable subscription and try a streaming service like Netflix, Hulu, or Sling TV.
- Use a cash back site like Ebates. Install the button so you will be notified if a site you are on offers cash back. You will get $10 if you sign up using our affiliate link!
- Use Groupon to find affordable things to do at home AND on your trip! *affiliate link
If you want to download this list, click here: 50 Ways to Save for Travel
If you want a budget worksheet to help you come up with a savings plan, click here: Savings Plan
What tips do you have for saving up for trips? Let us know in the comments!
Like it? Pin it!