Located in the Bay of Plenty region of New Zealand, Tauranga is a beautiful coastal city with plenty of outdoor adventures and activities to enjoy. It it about a 2.5 hour drive from Auckland.
10 things to do in Tauranga
- Mount Maunganui Beach: This gorgeous beach town is where you can relax or be as adventurous as you want. There is dining, shopping, golf, and plenty of exploring and hiking to do. This area is about a 15 minute drive away.
- Adrenalin Forest: Spend the day conquering challenging courses that take you up in the trees.
- Hobbiton Movie Set: Visit the set of The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films. About a 45 minute drive from Tauranga.
- McLaren Falls Park: This area is popular for walks, picnics, camping, fishing, kayaking and more. You can also see the glow worms at night. About a 10 minute drive.
- Arataki Cultural Walking Trails: Enjoy the beautiful views and learn about the important cultural sites via an app.
- The Elms Mission House: This historic building was completed in 1847. There is also a library next door with over 1,000 books that were the original owner’s. You can walk around the grounds for free and pay a small fee to tour the house.
- Tauranga Farmers Market: Started 14 years ago, you can support local food growers and producers every Saturday.
- Somerset Cottage: This restaurant and cooking school has been here for 30 years.
- Minden Lookout: On clear days, enjoy panorama views of the Bay of Plenty.
- Robbins Park: These beautiful gardens sit on a cliff overlooking the harbor. There is also a nice greenhouse next door.
This city also has great festivals. Check the tourism website to see what else is going on during your stay. These are just a few things to do in Tauranga! Have you been to Tauranga? What are your recommendations?
Like this post? Pin it!