Lima is the capital city of Peru, overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It is considered the oldest civilization of America. It is a unique city with plenty to do, great food, and warm weather.
Here are 10 things to do in Lima:
- Plaza Mayor: See where Lima was founded in 1535 by the Spanish conquistadors. It’s an important spot historically and a great place to walk around.
- Peñas: Enjoy live music and dancing at these secret basement bars. Read more about it here.
- Cathedral of Lima: This Roman Catholic cathedral in Plaza Mayor was constructed in 1535. It has a beautiful colonial facade and architecture.
- Go paragliding: If you’re feeling adventurous, try paragliding over the city of Lima. You can go attached to a professional so all you have to do is enjoy the views.
- Gastronomy tour: Lima has recently become a popular foodie destination. It actually has 2 of the top 20 best restaurants in the world. Take your own self-guided food tour around the city.
- San Francisco: This yellow and white building was built in the 17th century, and it is a famous tourist spot in Lima. It contains a church, art museum, and catacombs.
- Barrio Chino: Lima’s Chinatown is home to the largest community of Chinese descendants in South America. It’s a nice area to walk around and shop, and there are some great Peruvian-Chinese restaurants.
- Go to the beach: Being on the coast, Lima has many gorgeous beaches where you can work on your tan or try surfing. Redondo Beach is probably the most popular.
- Museo Larco: This is 18th century mansion has one of the largest displays of ceramics.
- El Circuito Mágico del Agua (Magic Water Circuit): Opened in 2007, this 19 acre park has 13 illuminated fountains. It might sound a little silly, but it’s definitely worth seeing!
These are just a few of the things to do in Lima. There’s so much to see! This is a great place to spend several days before exploring the rest of Peru.
Have you been to Lima? What are your recommendations?
Like this post? Save it on Pinterest!
We are participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge for the month of April. Check out our other posts here:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z