Kampala is the capital city of Uganda and a great jumping off point for your trip to Uganda and East Africa. While you might be going to Uganda to go gorilla trekking, Kampala has many of its own interesting attractions to see and a colorful history to learn about. It’s definitely worth staying in for a few days before embarking on your wildlife adventure.
Here are 10 things to do in Kampala:
- Mengo Palace: This palace was built for the king of Buganda. While you can’t go in the palace, you can visit the underground prison and torture chambers as well as tour the grounds.
- Gaddafi Mosque/Uganda National Mosque: Kampala’s largest mosque was built by the former Libyan dictator. You can walk around and take photos inside. There are beautiful views from the top of the minaret.
- Kasubi Tombs: This is the burial place of the Bugandan kings and royal family. It was built in 1882 and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Entebbe Botanical Gardens: There are 300 species of plants and different types of birds to see at the botanical gardens right outside of Kampala. Take a guided tour to learn more about the different plants.
- Ndere Center: Catch a traditional dance and dinner-theater show with the Ndere Troupe.
- Day trip to the equator: Kampala is about an hour and half drive from the equator, providing an excellent photo opportunity to stand in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres at the same time.
- Old Taxi Park: Check out this absolutely chaotic scene where all the taxis and minibuses pick up and drop off before heading to other places in Kampala and Uganda. There are also vendors walking around trying to sell items to passengers.
- Gorilla trekking: Uganda is a popular place to go gorilla trekking, and there are many tour companies in Kampala that can take you for day tours.
- Owino Market: A chaotic marketplace where you can find interesting things from African print fabrics to a section devoted entirely to Voodoo.
- Lake Victoria: Take a sightseeing cruise and visit Ngamba Chimp Island when you visit the second largest freshwater lake in the world.
Have you been to Kampala or anywhere else in Uganda? What are your recommendations?
Like this post? Save it on Pinterest!
We are participating in the Blogging A to Z Challenge for the month of April. Check out our other posts here: