Jaipur is the capital city of the Indian state of Rajasthan in northern India. It is a colorful, chaotic city with an interesting mix of old and new. There are lots of popular festivals that take place here throughout the year.
Here are 10 things to do in Jaipur:
- City Palace: Built in 1729 for the Maharaja of Jaipur, this palace features very ornate architecture and beautiful courtyards.
- Jantar Mantar: This astronomical observatory was built in the 18th century. There are 14 geometric devices for measuring time, constellations, and orbits around the sun.
- Hawa Mahal: A well-known landmark in Jaipur is this pink hive-like building constructed in 1799. It offers great views of the city, but it does get cramped and crowded inside.
- Jai Mahal Palace: This outdoor observatory park has giant sculptures that were built to measure the heavens. Take a guided tour to learn how the the structures work.
- Nahargarh: Built in 1734, this fort overlooks the city. You can walk or take a rickshaw to the entrance of the fort and take about a mile hike up to the top.
- Sisodia Rani Palace Garden: These beautiful gardens outside the city are overlooked by the Sisodia Rani Palace.
- SRC Museum of Indology: This private collection museum has many interesting folk-art pieces and other treasures.
- Goriad Devji Temple: This 18th century Krishna temple is located right outside City Palace.
- Galta: This deserted temple is located between cliffs. It is home to hundreds of monkeys, frescos, and sacred tanks of deep water. You can bathe in the tanks, as it is considered lucky.
- Central Museum: Located in Albert Hall is the Central Museum. It has an interesting combination of English and North Indian architecture. It has an eclectic array of items on display.
These are just some of the great things you can do in Jaipur!
Have you been to Jaipur or anywhere else in India? What are your favorite things to do?
Like this post? Save it on Pinterest!