Edinburgh is the capital city of Scotland and the second most visited city in the UK. (London is number one.) It is known for its festivals, historical sites, culture, food and whisky!
Here are 10 things to do in Edinburgh:
- Royal Mile: The Royal Mile is the heart of Edinburgh. It is a great area to walk around and explore the shops, restaurants and museums. This is where you can find historical sites like Edinburgh Castle and where famous festivals like the Military Tattoo are held.
- Old Town: This quaint area of Edinburgh is full of winding cobbled streets, courtyards, and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival that is held every year in August.
- Edinburgh Castle: Perhaps the most well-known icon of Edinburgh is Edinburgh Castle. The oldest part of the castle is dated back to the 12th century. It has a very long and interesting history. It also offers spectacular views of the surrounding area. This is definitely a must-see.
- Holyrood Park: A quick walk from the Royal Mile is Holyrood Park. This 640 acre park has an ancient volcano, Arthur’s Seat, as well as a fort dating back 2,000 years ago, a medieval chapel, and diverse plants.
- National Museum of Scotland: This museum is home to artifacts of historical significance to Scotland and around the world.
- Royal Yacht Britannia: This yacht sailed the Queen and the Royal Family around for over 40 years. Now you can take a tour and learn about its importance to the Royals and Scotland’s history.
- Midlothian Snowsports Centre: Ski where the Scottish Olympians train at the UK’s biggest artificial ski slope.
- Scotch Whisky Experience: On the Royal Mile you can take a tour, enjoy a tasting, eat at the restaurant, and do some shopping at the Scotch Whisky Experience.
- Haunted Tours: Edinburgh is considered one of the most haunted cities in the world. Take a ghost tour to learn about the dark side of Edinburgh. The tourism website offers some suggestions for ghost tours.
- Royal Botanic Gardens: The gardens were established in the 1600s and house one of the largest living collections of plants.
Have you been to Edinburgh? What are your favorite things to do? Let us know in the comments!
Like this post? Save it on Pinterest!
We are participating in the A to Z Blogging Challenge for the month of April. Check out our other posts from the challenge here: